Tuesday, May 3, 2011


What’s up Strong Beach? I’m sitting here looking outside at this “weather”! Yes, we’ve got weather! It’s kind of refreshing from time to time to have a change of scenery. I get to stay in with the family, watch a DVD, and maybe even have a nice warm bowl of chili or soup!
Speaking of videos, we’re releasing one this week, so stay tuned. It features the Long Beach Poly girl’s track team’s triumphant win, as they became the national indoor champions in the 4x200m relay! It is a very exciting race. Be sure to check out our kids representing Long Beach on a national level! Okay, enough small talk . . . lets get on to some questions!
Hello Doc Dossman,
I’m a 5’10” sophomore power forward. I play travel ball and I play on the varsity squad at school. Some of my teammates are running track this year because one of the track coaches told them that it would be good for them to do. From what I see, it’s really hard and they are not even on varsity! Why bother? I think I should just work on my game in the off-season so that I can be a step ahead of them and maybe get some more playing time as a junior. Junior season is always a big year for recruitment. I just want to know your opinion. I know a lot of Hoop Girls come to you and trust you.
Angelae J. the Hooper
Wassup Hooper!
You want my opinion? I say jump on the bandwagon and join your teammates! If you work hard like your mates, it can only help you with your speed. If ball is your sport, who cares whether or not you make varsity track? I’d suggest you do it for the speed training; on the court speed kills. There aren’t too many sports that being faster won’t help you!
Go into it with the mindset of becoming a speedier basketball player. If you don’t make varsity, you will have the time to continue your basketball training.  Your time commitment to track will be less as a junior varsity member. When you come back for junior year, you won’t regret the hard work you put into becoming a speed demon on the court! Trust me on this!
Hi Doc!
I love reading your column. You are smart, witty, and even hilarious at times! I hope you can help me. My son is 15 years old. He plays basketball and is also a high jumper. Currently, he measures in at 6’6” and he wears size 16 shoes. His left knee has been hurting him since last summer but the doctors keep telling us that it’s just “growing pains”. I understand he is growing, but could it be anything else? It just seems too easy of a diagnosis when they aren’t offering anything for relief but Motrin.  Is this something you can help us with?
Tall Kid Mom
Hi Mom!
Thanks for the love and support. As much as I like to hear myself talk, it is especially more rewarding to hear that someone else is listening too!
Wow, you’ve certainly got a big “kid” on your hands and it sounds like he isn’t even finished growing, either! I hear the “growing pains” explanation all the time. I can understand your frustration. It seems like a cop out when you know deep down inside that there has got to be a better explanation, right? Why wouldn’t both knees bother him if it were “growing pains”? Did they consider the fact that he is a jumper as well as a basketball player?
With the information given, I’d say you’re dealing with something other than “growing pains.”  He might have jumper’s knee or Osgood-Schlatter. Because you mentioned nothing about a bump or knot below his kneecap or tender spot on that bump, I’d even consider trigger points in the left quadriceps muscle, especially if he jumps off of that leg. I would look into releasing tension in his left thigh.
You can use heat, massage, stretching, and other treatments to confirm or rule out his doctor’s diagnosis. If he gets the slightest bit of relief, it’s unlikely we are really dealing with “growing pains.”  Osgood-Schlatter is something that tends to go away on its own with time and rest. However, I have seen some amazing results with Cold Laser Therapy! I hope this helps! Feel from to email me some more detailed information or just come in and see me!
Dear Doc,
I’m a 54-year-old soccer mom. I like to stay active so I’ve picked up a new hobby. I am training for my first triathlon! I’m pretty excited. My kids tease me all the time. It’s a blast for the entire family, but I’m really serious about accomplishing my goal. I have been having this pain in the front of my hip. When I am running, it hurts when I extend my hip and it hurts when I bring my knee all the way up.
I am doing well with my biking and swimming. It doesn’t seem to bother me unless I’m running. When it is at its worst, I feel soreness in my lower back. I’m not sure if there is a connection or not but thought I’d share this. I’ve gone to physical therapy and we have done some core strengthening to balance me as well as local therapy to my hip (ultrasound, ice, heat, TENS, stretching, light massage, etc.). What else is there to do?
Triathlon Mom
Congrats Mom!
You have taken on a huge challenge. I know that it can’t be easy hitting a speed bump when you’re already going uphill! If you have tried all the typical stuff that they’d offer in therapy, we’d have to look elsewhere. I would check your gluteal muscles. When tight, these muscles can tighten up the lower back. They are also considered “antagonist muscles” to the hip flexors. This simply means that it tends to pull in the opposite direction of the muscle you are complaining of. The tighter the glutes, the more resistance the hip flexor must overcome to reach full range of motion.
Long story short, if you have tried everything directly to the area of complaint, try the antagonist muscle. Release the glutes and see what happens! I’d suggest getting a softball and sitting on it while rolling around the tender areas. You can also place the ball between a wall and your butt. Stretching is good too! Check out my video on static stretching where you will find a good gluteal stretch among others (CLICK HERE for the video) . Try this out and let me know how it goes! Sounds simple because it is!
Well that’s it for today! Remember, you can ask me anything. I need your questions to keep this thing going, so please don’t hesitate, even if you feel your query is stupid. There is no such thing! Be sure to be as detailed as possible. Too much information is better than limited information. I look forward to next week. Until then, stay Strong Beach!
To visit Doc’s website, click here, and buy his book, What I’ve Learned From Your Kids.  Email questions to Doc ataskdoc@docdossman.com.

No comments: