Tuesday, May 3, 2011


Hello Strong Beach! I am literally on my way back to California from NYC as I’m writing this week’s column. Right now I’m spending my time on my flight reflecting as I always do and am thinking of the people in Japan. I am sending up prayers for them as they look to recover from this great tragedy.
The airport terminal on this Sunday evening was not only loaded with those travelling back home for work, but many were headed to Japan! It was a big deal. They made special arrangements for those going. There were those that were stranded a few days here in America after the Tsunami hit their country and were waiting for the opportune time to return home and begin to assess any damages. There were also long lines of people going as relief workers to help that country and volunteer their time.  God bless them all!
As always, here we are again at the start of another week. I hope everyone is off to a promising start! I’m excited about answering a few questions for the column. Let’s just get down to business!
Hello!
Is it true that if I crack my knuckles, I can get arthritis? My mother is always on me when I do. Can you help me silence her?
Poppin Peter
Peter,
It’s all a lie. Well, I don’t want to call anyone a liar, but let’s just say that there is absolutely no research/proof to validate that statement. There is, however, more evidence to prove that joint decompression can actually delay the onset of degenerative arthritis! Yessir!
Hi Doc!
I noticed you answered a question about a foot issue in a previous column. I wasn’t sure before that if it was appropriate to ask my question because you are not a podiatrist. I am learning more and more that you have a keen understanding of the body and how it works and moves. I figure I should throw out my question now.
I think I have a few issues that are all connected somehow. First, my outer foot just plain hurts me! It is along the entire outer edges of my feet that seem to ache until they burn. It feels like a friction type of burn. Also, the muscles on the side of my leg burn after a long walk or if I jog for about a mile. I looked it up online and found that the muscle that hurts is called the “peroneus longus”.  Oh yes, I also notice all my shoes are worn out around the outer heel. It looks pretty ugly. I want to just throw my shoes away! Is it all related? What can I do? What can you do to help me?
Tim
Hey Tim,
I know what you are dealing with. I will keep this short and to the point. The sole of your sneaker wears out that way because you are what we call a “supinator”. Your foot rolls out and ankle rolls inward with every step. This means the outer portion of your heel and foot will take the brunt of all the hit when you walk or run. This is why the outside of your foot hurts. The inner portion of your foot and sole just don’t get as much playing time as the outer. They get more wear and tear due to more use.
The peroneus (yes, you got it) muscles get fatigued because of their job in neutralizing the foot position before your heel strikes the ground. If it doesn’t turn your ankle/foot back to the neutral position, you would roll/sprain your ankle all the time! The key solution is going to be correcting the over-supination problem. If you do this, everything else will fall into place. I’d recommend options like orthotics or postural corrective heel cups to knock out the origin of the issue. The other stuff is easy. Call me.
What’s up Doc?
I’m sure I am the first to use this line, no? How old does a person have to be to contract arthritis? Is it the inevitable? How do I know I have it? Where will I get it first? Is it different for everyone? Can it be genetic?
Meagan F.
Meg! (I’m a big Family Guy fan. Can I call you Meg? Great!)
Arthritis isn’t an S.T.D., so I wouldn’t say it was something you would “contract”. I’d like to say that it is indeed inevitable if you’d like to view it as a catastrophic event. Yes, if you live long enough, you will eventually begin having symptoms from the degenerative process. Arthritis is simply the uncomfortable part of the daily degenerative process of life. How will you know you have it? Trust me . . . you will know my friend.
They will probably take an x-ray to confirm it someday, but you will surely know. Where will you get it first? That depends. It’s a process of wear and tear, so that depends on your occupation or lifestyle. If you work with your hands like me, it’ll probably hit your hands first. If you play football, it might hit your neck or back first.
Understand that the process of degeneration happens daily. We get older each day. We use some joints more than others. Nonetheless, all of them are aging daily. When it comes usually depends on how much wear you have placed on your body. I’d say you might start noticing the process getting real for you around the age of 45. It’s up to you how fast it progresses.
Hello Doc,
You have made it very clear that you are a Los Angeles Lakers fanatic. I need your help! Can you please settle a debate in my household? I am sure you’ve heard about Kobe’s “post-game workout” after their loss to the Miami Heat. I have no problem with a guy blowing off some steam after a loss. What harm was done? My wife and kids argue that it was very disrespectful for him to use Lebron and Wade’s facilities (including Heat ball boys) for this workout. They feel he was sending a message to his foes and that it was very pompous of Kobe to do so. HELP!
Fellow Laker Fanatic
My Fellow Laker Fan,
This is one man’s opinion. So, I’m just sayin’! I think Kobe wanted get in a good workout. That’s all! It was NOT an act of disrespect. If he wanted to be disrespectful, he would have left the gym with a presumption that he would never have to return! He would assume the loss was simply a fluke and move on. I think it was a show of respect more than anything! It is very possible that “WE” might have to go back to Miami someday (NBA Finals maybe?). He probably asked himself, “Why not familiarize myself with this floor, this hoop, and the depth perception in this arena?”  Using the Miami Heat ball boys shouldn’t be frowned upon either. Do you think that this was not the highlight of their careers as ball boys? Really.
Kobe Bryant is regarded among his peers to have the most extreme work ethic. I am certain that as Lebron and D. Wade were two-stepping in the club, the news of Kobe’s workout may have made them slightly uncomfortable, but not surprising. They know Kobe; he is their friend outside of basketball. I personally think it’s amazing! His work ethic has always inspired me. I remember DeMar (DeRozan) told me that he spent a week working out with Kobe at a facility in Vegas over the summer. DeMar lasted three days before he packed up and came back home to Compton! He said that Kobe is a machine and he could not keep up with the quantity and the intensity of his workouts.  In my opinion, it was just another workout. But, that’s just me.
Fun stuff! Remember, ask away! Whatever you want to ask me, I will consider answering! Always try to include as much detail as you possibly can. This info will be very helpful in painting the proper picture so that I may be well-equipped to serve you. Thanks again for sending in your questions. No question is stupid! There would be no column without your questions!!!!!
To visit Doc’s website, click here, and buy his book, What I’ve Learned From Your Kids.  Email questions to Doc ataskdoc@docdossman.com.

No comments: