Tuesday, May 3, 2011


Wassup Strong Beach? How are you? I hope we are having another great week. I am watching the women’s NCAA Final Four. For once, I am surprised at the outcome! It makes it much more exciting now because it’s no longer so predictable. By the time this column releases, we will know who the men’s NCAA champion is. Let’s say, I got my money on Connecticut.
Before we get into the column, two things I want to mention. This week’s video blog will be another feature from my trip to NYC with the Long Beach Poly Trackrabbits. This video will feature the boy’s 4x200m relay National Championship race. It will be a good one! Secondly, some of you have mentioned that you were not able to check back prior to week 13 of my columns. I know that this makes it hard to prevent redundancy in your questions. I appreciate the diligence, so I will look into this with the BOSS (Mike & JJ); I am sure they will have a solution. Thanks for your patience!
Okay, let’s get into some questions!
Hey Doc,
How are you? I wanted to ask you about orthotics. My son runs track at community college. He is a talented 400m sprinter. I’m not really familiar with their doctors or trainers, but they are recommending he get custom orthotics. I was blown away when he told me that it would cost $600!!! I am in full support of my son, but I am not sure if this is a worthy purchase. I just want another opinion. If you tell me to make the purchase, I will do it. Are there any other options? What is wrong with the store bought orthotic? Please help!
Pop Reynolds
Hello Pop!
I’m doing well, thank you! This is a fairly simply question. I believe that 99.7% of the population could benefit from the use of orthotics. I’d put every patient in a pair, if I could. I do realize the customs can be very costly. I do custom orthotics here at the office. I will share this with you (in all caps): THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOT A SINGLE PIECE OF RESEARCH PROVING THE SUPERIORITY OF CUSTOM ORTHOTICS VERSUS THE OVER-THE-COUNTER ORTHOTIC.
I encourage my patients to try the OTC orthotic first. Why not try to save money first? You’ve got gas to buy don’t you? If the OTC works, GREAT! If it seems we’ve got a special case that isn’t responding to the store bought version, then I ask them to consider a custom version. Save your money, my friend.
Hi Doc!
I have a question about my feet! I don’t understand what my shin splints have to do with my flat feet. Everyone in my family has flat feet but I am the only one with shin splints! I am the only runner in my family, but how does that change anything?
Puzzled Presley
Hi Presley,
Flat feet (aka Pes Planus) may indeed carry a genetic component, but they also put you at a biomechanical disadvantage. Running is what sets you apart from the other flat-footers in your family. Every step you take, your arch (or lack thereof) collapses against the ground. Your posterior tibialis muscle has its attachment anchored at the bottom of your foot so this muscle is stretched beyond its limit with each stride. This is why it’s very likely that your shin pain is on the inner side of your shin.
Go ahead and look up the anatomy of the “posterior tibialis” muscle! CLICK HERE to take a look at the video blog I released on this very topic of shin splints! I hope this all made sense to you! No need to be “puzzled”!
Hey Doc,
I need advice. I coach track & field at Cal State Fullerton (Go Titans!). One of my freshmen strained her hamstring last Sunday. I rested her all week and ran her on Saturday. She said she felt good, but not quite fully recovered. How long should I rest her in order to get her back to at least 95%?
Coach BC
Hey Coach!
First I want to congratulate you on your success with the program over there! I have seen quite a few of your athletes and have been following your team for a few seasons. I know that great coaching has much to do with their successes!
About your freshman young lady, I don’t think she truly strained her hamstring. A muscle strain indicates there was a tear or a break in the tissue. If this were the case, it would be highly unlikely that she could run in a race with only a week’s rest. There are three degrees of tears. Even if she had the most minor Grade 1 strain, it would take a few weeks of therapy (not just REST) to get her back on the track.
I understand that many coaches and athletes use the term “strain” loosely. I think many athletes believe that they have in fact torn their muscle. If she was able to run after just resting for a week, she probably cramped up or had a muscle spasm. If this is the case, we need to figure out why this may have occurred. Is there some biomechanical fault? Are her hips balanced? Is she getting proper/adequate hydration (electrolytes)?
Until you figure this out, it’s a crapshoot each time she gets out there on that line. I remember the words of Ron Alice when he said, “Track is the purest sport. This is why it is called Athletics. It’s the purest sport. It is the ONLY sport that you have to be and give 100% every single time you get on that line. Other sports, you can play and be productive at 70 & 80%. You cannot do this in Athletics.” Kobe Bryant at 80% is still probably in the top 10 in the NBA. This is not possible in track. The body needs to be at its peak each time you line up.
I share this to say that I cannot give you an estimate until we figure out what is going on with that particular athlete. I am sorry I took you around the world to tell you that I don’t have an answer for you! We have to get her proper treatment once we figure out if there is an actual strain or some biomechanical issue to be corrected. After we know this, putting together a treatment/rehab plan is the best way to proceed. A hypothesis of when to “return to action” will be just that . . . a guess. I hope this information was helpful. You know that’s why I am here!
That’s our time for today! I truly enjoy this! Please keep the questions coming. Remember, ask me anything and I will try to answer the best that I can.  Until next time . . . stay Strong Beach!
To visit Doc’s website, click here, and buy his book, What I’ve Learned From Your Kids.  Email questions to Doc ataskdoc@docdossman.com.

No comments: