Tuesday, May 3, 2011


Hello, Strong Beach! I hope everyone is off to a great start for this new week. I can’t believe we are already headed into April . . . which happens to be my birthday month!!! (Hint, hint: Laker tickets and Pinkberry gift cards make great gifts!)
I have been receiving amazing feedback about my latest video blog release! Thank you so much! I am hearing words like “inspirational,” “tear-jerker,” “intense,” “powerful,” other words that confirm how your emotions were touched. If you haven’t seen the video yet, click here.
Well, we’re here to answer questions, so let’s get it on!
Doc Dossman,
I have been enjoying your columns and the information that you give. Do you have a Facebook or a Twitter account? I often wonder what other precious gems of information you might be sharing throughout the week that I’m missing out on.
Julie S.
Hi Julie! Yes, I have both! I am ashamed to say that they are NOT set up as professional information outlets. My Facebook is a way that I communicate with my patients about their progress or game results, but it’s just me being me. It’s funny stuff, reflective stuff, personal stuff . . . just me. My Twitter is just more of the same. I’m probably a bit more active on Facebook. Look me up!
Twitter: @LBSPORTSDOC
Facebook: DOC DOSSMAN & DOC DOSSMAN SPORTS MEDICINE
Hi Doc!
I play basketball. I’m away for college and need advice on what I can do when I’m feeling neglected by the training staff here. It seems like unless I play boy’s football or basketball, I am a non-priority. This bothers me to no end, but it is the way it is with most college programs. I am not complaining. I just want some advice on ways I can maintain my body on my own. I know you can recommend certain stretches, tools, and maybe even nutritional tricks? 
Jameela R.
Jameela, welcome to the world of college sports! You are not a non-priority, but girl’s basketball probably does not pay the bills at your school. In fact, I know that where you go to school football and boys basketball definitely pay the bills. It is unfortunate. Your story is not an uncommon one. I like your attitude, so let’s just stay positive and figure out how to take measures into our own hands!
You can review most of my video blogs (pre-game meal, water consumption, stretching, etc.) for some good maintenance information. Two of the more common therapies you get in a college training room are ice and electrical stimulation. You can purchase your own electrical stimulation unit (T.E.N.S) online for less than $40. I think it would save you time and be worth the investment. You can just grab a bag of ice from the training room and take it to your room.
Massage therapy is also something you might request from time to time, although I promise the training staff won’t be too excited about doing massage work for you. I’d suggest you do a Google search for “massage schools” to find a local massage program in your area! This is a gold mine! Massage schools have clinics in which they try to give their students hands on experience. These clinics are open to the community and they love working on athletes. Best of all, most of these clinics don’t cost a dime! Once they know you are a collegiate athlete, I am certain the clinic director will be sure to pair you with the star intern of the clinic.
If the training staff at school sees that you are taking matters in your own hands, you won’t be viewed as the “crybaby” athlete, and they will likely be more helpful when you do need their help.
Hey Doc,
This may seem like a silly question but I play tennis at least three times a week. I have been having pain on the inside of my elbow. It bothers me most AFTER playing. I feel fine during my match, once things warm up. I have been icing and I also take Advil before I play. I think this helps me during my match, but I am always hurting after.
I have done my research and it seems I have “Golfer’s Elbow”? Tennis Elbow is on the outer elbow? How can this be? I don’t even play golf? Can I be a tennis player with “Golfer’s Elbow”?
Confused Jason
Wassup J?
There are no silly questions, remember? I really wouldn’t worry about terminology technicalities. What is most important is that the treatment doesn’t really change either way. Golfer’s Elbow and Tennis Elbow are essentially the same condition on different sides of your elbow. The answer to your question is, yes, you can be a tennis player with Golfer’s Elbow. These are simply laymen terms we give to these conditions. The medical term for Golfer’s Elbow is medial epicondylitis; Tennis Elbow is recognized as lateral epicondylitis. Both are treated alike. Location of the application is where they differ. Don’t major in the minors my friend.
That’s all we have time for today. Keep your questions coming in! Without you there is no column. No question is silly! You can ask anything you like. If I cannot answer, I will let you know and point you in the right direction to get the help you need! If your question is urgent or you might be dealing with some serious issue, feel free to call me! That is why I am here. Have a blessed week Strong Beach!
To visit Doc’s website, click here, and buy his book, What I’ve Learned From Your Kids.  Email questions to Doc ataskdoc@docdossman.com.

No comments: