Tuesday, May 3, 2011


Strong Beach, stand up!!! Hello everyone! Another week is here to tackle head on. I hope everyone had a great Easter weekend. I spent much of my time in Las Vegas working but still managed to find time to have a blast with friends while I was there! One of my favorite perks of travelling for work is being able to spend time with friends and/or family that might live in the area.  Let’s get down to business and answer some of your questions.
What up Doc!
I was wondering how salt or salt tablets help a person retain water.  I know before some marathons and half-marathons, they give out salt packets.  I sweat a lot during races of that length.  I have not tried the salt, but am thinking about it for my next one.  I drink water or a sports drink while on the course, but still feel like I could use something else to help out.  Would salt help me retain my water and keep me hydrated longer?
Thanks,
Your column has been very helpful!
Thirsty in Buena Park
Wassup Thirsty!
We can go many places with your answer! This question is a frequent topic of debate in runners’ circles with running coaches going back and forth. I don’t get into debates; instead, I just like to see what side of the argument the research does or does not support. There have been no studies documenting any notable benefits derived from taking additional salt while running. Sports drinks have adequate amounts of salt, and although you might lose more than you replace, the difference isn’t enough to impact your level of performance.
Even if you were running ultra marathons, you would be able to stay properly hydrated while consuming sports drinks. They actually now have sports drinks on the market with increased salt content (endurance formulas, etc.) for the athletes with an increased need. Salt is an ingredient added to assist the body’s absorption of fluids. Sports drinks use carbohydrates to assist with this absorption instead; therefore, there really would be no increased benefit of additional salt. I don’t think you need it my friend. Just stick with sports drinks (NOT water) during your runs! You will do just great!
Hey there,
I was just curious to know whether you are a Poly graduate. I see that you spend a lot of time with our Jackrabbit kids. It seems they really love your work and your presence.
I love your part of Gazettes, the videos, the information, it just makes their website that much better than it already was. You're doing and have done a Great job!
I actually see you doing much bigger things in the future . . . I'm sure you do too! You'll probably be on television in a big way. Your style is unique, it draws on the youth and you've got great personality . . . great ingredients! Let me know if you need a manager, maybe I can ride to the top with you Doc!
Take Care Doc!
Jackrabbit 4 life!
L Trotter
Mr. Trotter!
Thanks for the kind words! No, I am not a Poly grad. I actually moved to New York after the 8th grade where I attended Bancroft Middle School. I happen to be the guy down the street from Long Beach Poly High School. I'm really not that good; I'm just convenient! SMILE.
But I love ALL the kids. I have probably been working the longest with Poly, therefore I have deeper ties/relationships there. I stay busy with kids from many different high schools and colleges. Poly kids just have an incredible swagger, so I seem to have the most fun with them!
Thanks so much for your comments. That means so much. I don't know about all the big time TV stuff but I love my community! Thanks for the vote of confidence!
Dear Doc Dossman,
I was at Mt. SAC Relays this year watching the races. I noticed you in an emergency situation. I saw you and another guy carrying a girl from the track all the way to the medic tent. First, I’d like to commend you on your effort. That had to be at least 100 yards, she was not a small girl, it was almost 90 degrees and I could see the sweat pouring down your face!
I was just curious about what went on. She was pretty much passed out in your arms. She was fine during the race where I think she ran an awesome 400 meters. The next thing I see, she had collapsed. What happened to her? Is she all right?
Curious George
Hey George,
Yes it was blazing hot out there at Mt. San Antonio College! When the temperature gets that high, we see stuff like that often. Unfortunately, I am not at liberty to discuss her case with you. I will tell you this one thing: she was just fine once we got her to drink some pink lemonade and eat an energy bar! 
I’d also like to take this opportunity to share a funny story about what was happening in that medic tent!  It was run by a group of medical residents who were all pretty excitable and very anxious to help out. Someone pulled out a blood pressure cuff. Another person put a thermometer in her ear. What really blew my mind is someone pulled out his ophthalmoscope! (That’s the piece of equipment the doctor uses to look into your eyes.)
I was amused because it was about 90 degrees and blindingly sunny outside which would make it nearly impossible to get a legitimate reading with that thing in so much light! I stood there in amazement as another resident went to take a medical history from the passed out teen on the table.  At this point I had asked for some juice or a candy bar about five times! Someone finally listened and got us some pink lemonade.  She takes a sip, and comes back to life. The rest is history!
Fun times once again my friends! I will end this week’s column here. I am watching the final four minutes of the Lakers vs. Hornets game and my team is losing. I need to give them my support and cheer. I look forward to answering more questions next week. Keep them coming in. Remember, without your questions, there is no column. Until we meet again, stay Strong Beach!
To visit Doc’s website,click here, and buy his book, What I’ve Learned From Your Kids.  Email questions to Doc at askdoc@docdossman.com.

No comments: