Tuesday, May 3, 2011


Strong Beach!!! Man I love this place! I just got off a plane this morning from Cleveland, Ohio. I had to leave an hour early to the airport because it was snowing and we had to dig our car out of the snow. It was freezing cold and the roads were icy and slick. While on our way, we saw three wrecks because cars had slid off of the highway. It’s just insane how I can just get on a plane, fall asleep, and then wake up to the California sunshine as if it was all just a bad dream! Was it a dream? Did that just happen? Sorry Cleveland, you can keep those weather conditions all to yourself.
Remember, this is the 4th week of the month, so keep your eyes open for my latest video blog, which releases on Friday morning! I also want to remind you to visit the “Ask Doc” archives if you miss any of the columns! I get a ton of repeat questions because people have missed the information from a previous column where I answered a similar or even the exact same question.  I encourage you to check out my tab under the SPORTS section called “Ask Doc Dossman”.  You will find all the columns as well as videos. Okay, enough sidebar, lets get to what we all came here for!
Doc Dossman,
My son plays both club and high school soccer. He has a fairly demanding schedule. He recently injured his knee. The MRI says it is a torn ACL and he is scheduled for surgery in two weeks. My question is how long should we expect him to be missing in action? When will he be back on his feet running again?
Eric’s Dad
Hey Dad,
This is a tricky question. I’m not sure I can give you a fair answer that you will be happy with. I’ve seen people back on their feet running in less than 6 months. I’ve also seen people take their first jog after an entire year! There are several factors involved that will help determine his time to recovery. 
You may actually be interested in knowing which factors will aid in the speediest recovery for Eric. First, the surgeon’s skill dictates the level and quality of work done. Make sure you go to a surgeon who has an established reputation as being the “knee guy.”   You want a master who does nothing but knee surgeries.  The guy that does it all can be a jack-of-all-trades-and-a-master-of-none.
Post surgical rehabilitation is a huge factor as well. If you work with a therapist who specializes in or typically works with athletes, Eric can expect a more tailored, aggressive, and progressive post-op course.  This will happen much faster with this route.   I recommend you research the options because most therapy clinics are not sports medicine based. Most specialize in treatment of the elderly and car accident victims. Neither of those patients is in any type of hurry. 
Notably, there are others like age, the overall health status of the patient, as well as the place from which the tendon is sampled.  Those I explained above are the top factors I urge you to consider for a speedy recovery. I hope this helps!
Hey Doc,
I am not an athlete. I am not even a weekend warrior. I don’t even watch sports on television.  I was just looking for an apartment on this website and stumbled across your column. I’m not even sure how I got here. I just figured I’d give it a shot.
I have been going to my doctor complaining about my lower back for about a month now. At first he just told me to take 800mg of Ibuprofen.  This didn’t seem to help at all. I went back the next week and he gave me a muscle relaxant. Now I’m high! I absolutely love this! Okay I don’t love this. I don’t want to be high. I need to operate heavy machinery, like my car for example. Besides, it only seems to help take away about half of my pain and this is only when I am high.  So I go back the next week and he decides to send me in for an MRI (which isn’t fully covered under my plan…something about it not being of medical necessity?).
I went to get my test results for this expensive examination on last week. They tell me that I have a lumbar disc herniation at L5-S1. Case solved!!!! Well it certainly seemed that way during the report of findings. They said that it is 1-2mm bulging out to the left. He has now given me a six-week prescription for physical therapy. He also told me to keep taking the muscle relaxants. Somehow I just don’t feel like this is the end of my story. I almost feel like I am being pawned off on someone else. Is it just me? Or am I high?
The Loaded Patient
L.P.!
I’m honestly not exactly sure what your question is my friend. I’m not sure where to begin. Hmmmm…I’m happy that you “stumbled” onto my column. I’m picturing you literally “stumbling”…because you are high? J The Downtown Gazette is easily the most effective way to find an apartment for rent here in Strong Beach. I guess now you got a double benefit! No you don’t have to be an athlete to ask a question. You don’t even have to ask anything about injuries at all! I answered a movie question last week. Keep reading and you will see some even crazier stuff.
About your pain: I hear about this pain progression ALL THE TIME! It is not uncommon protocol for lower back pain, in addition to bed rest. Physical therapy is a better option than medication and bed rest. It’s unfortunate it seems to be the final option after prescribing all of the medication. It seems to be the most cost effective order, so they roll with it!
The MRI is indeed expensive. I know you can spend close to $800 for that testing. That is a high price to pay if it is something that you don’t really need. The MRI is used (most appropriately) to confirm our clinical findings. It should be used to back up my orthopedic testing, further validate medical necessity, and for surgical planning.  In other words, a medically necessary MRI of the low back is a map to show your surgeon where to cut.   In reality, too many MRIs are ordered as a “knee jerk” or just to reassure the patient.   MRI is often used when we have no idea what is going on. The MRI can visualize pretty much everything. If something is wrong (structurally), a good radiologist will find it!
Then there is the referral to physical therapy, which is a good option for you. It encourages movement rather than bed rest. I think you will find better relief than you have been getting from the medications. I only hope that you do not get attached to your MRI results. Many people hear the word “herniation” or “bulge” and freak out! Before I go, know this…. everyone has a bulge or herniation of some level. L5/S1 is the most common area to find a bulge. A bulge of 1-2mm is so very insignificant. It’s probable that this bulge has absolutely nothing to do with your backpain! I’d expect pain in the buttocks that shoots down the back of your thigh to the bottom of your foot or big toe. Look on a ruler and remind yourself of how huge a millimeter is.  Now ask yourself this question: “Is my 1-2 mm bulging disk big enough to start real trouble?”
I’m not sure I have answered your question but I sure hope so! Write me back if I wasn’t any help! J
What Up Doc D!
Are you a Coke or Pepsi type of guy?
Curious George
Really George?
Actually I don’t drink soda. I stick with water on a day-to-day basis. If I do feel the need to have a dark carbonated beverage while I’m out, I will just ask for whichever they have. Funny thing is, I have actually taken the “challenge” at the Bob Marley Festival here in Strong Beach one year. Long story short, Pepsi won!
Hi Doc Dossman,
I am a senior at Wilson and I’m having trouble making a decision on my college choice. I know you deal with people my age everyday. I am sure you have an opinion so I would like some advice. I have things narrowed down and I am not really asking for help choosing a particular school. I am torn between leaving home and staying. What do you think I should do? My mother wants me to go away and my father thinks I need to stay home. I’m not sure what I want.
Torn Leslie
Hi Leslie!
Yes I do have an opinion on this topic.  Choose the best school for the field of study you are pursuing. If that school is near home, you should really try to look for a school of similar quality that is away from home. I always encourage kids to “grow away”. There is so much more to college life then academics. I’ve been dealing with young people for a very long time now, and I have noticed a pattern.
The kids that go away come back more mature and independent than the ones who stayed home.  It is as simple as that.  Leaving the nest forces you to find your independence much sooner that one that stayed. This is hard (nearly impossible) to do when you are living at home where you essentially rely on your parents for just about everything from stocking the refrigerator to paying the bills. The ones who go away come back educated and changed for the better. I can go on and on all day about the benefits of finding your independence. I could also go on about the convenience of staying at home. If you want my vote, I will always tell you to go away. There are very few instances (maybe one) in which I might tell you to stay home.
I had a kid who had aspirations of going to a big Division 1 school on an athletic scholarship but also had aspirations of being a pre-med science major. This is a near impossible task with all the requirements of a student athlete on full scholarship. Many athletic programs insist that you take on an easier major so that you can more easily juggle your studies and travel schedules. In this scenario, the convenience of being at home can work in your favor while taking on an incredibly difficult task. Or . . . if you are the primary care taker of your little sister or bed-ridden parent, then staying at home is also a “no brainer.” Other than that, go away and grow up! Come back mature and independent! I hope that helps!
Well that was fun! I got a little long winded this week! I am happy you stayed the course with me and made it to the end—thanks for reading and thanks for sending in your questions! Remember, you can ask me anything you want. Without your questions, there would be no column. Please be as direct as possible in our questions so I don’t have to make assumptions. I had a few that I wasn’t 100% sure about. I will always do my best, nonetheless. Well, until next week, stay Strong Beach!
To visit Doc’s website, click here, and buy his book, What I’ve Learned From Your Kids.  Email questions to Doc ataskdoc@docdossman.com.

No comments: