Tuesday, May 3, 2011


Hey Strong Beach! Week 21! Let’s go! I was a bit long winded last week, but I will keep it short and sweet today. I hope everyone is getting their week off to a spectacular start! I, on the other hand, am a slow starter. Monday is “start your engine” day. Tuesday is typically my official start day for each week. So here we are . . . It’s Tuesday. Let’s jump into these questions and see who I can help out today.

Hi Doc,
My son is a 9th grader so he is now starting his first season of high school track & field, but he is no rookie. I have had him running club track for years now! He is expected to be a big contributor to the varsity team this season. They are very excited about my son! I am so proud.
I have only one issue so far. The coaches seem to know what they are doing but my kid came home saying that they stopped him from stretching out before practice! Why would they do something like this? It makes no sense to me. Since when is stretching a bad habit? What is wrong with them? They had him doing some bouncy type of drills instead. I don’t understand it, Doc. I’m not trying to be one of those horrible parents that harass the coaching staff. I just don’t want to be that one. Maybe you can help keep me off the ledge?
Shavon the Track Mom
Hi Mom!
I am happy to hear that you have a child that can go to a team and contribute to the team’s potential. Thanks for your question. It is a good one that can help many. I do not believe that your son’s coaches DO NOT want him to “stretch.” It sounds to me that they are transitioning him out of STATIC stretching into DYNAMIC stretching. The drills that he has been given to perform instead of stretching are considered DYNAMIC stretches. There is a time and a place for both types of stretching.
I think you should encourage your son to give it a shot. Trust this new coaching system, even though it may seem foreign to you. It sounds like an upgrade if he was doing static stretches prior to high school. I won’t go into the differences between dynamic and static stretching.  I could do an entire column on this topic. Instead, I’d like to point you to this youtube link, and this one, with a break down of each type of stretching (dynamic & static). I sincerely hope that this helps:
Hi Doc,
Do you have any recommendations to use as a substitute for muscle relaxants?  Is there is a herb or vitamin that I can take instead? I hate taking this stuff. I take it because all the other stuff my doctor threw at me didn’t do a thing! I guess I’m on the strong stuff now! The problem is, it only takes the edge off of my back pain. What other options do I have?
Mr. My Back Hurts
Hello Mr. Hurts,
YES!!! I can share with you what I personally use. When I am prescribed muscle relaxants, I use a potato extract called Valerian Root. Valerian is also used for sleeping disorders, restlessness, and anxiety. This stuff is strong and it’s not recommended that you drive or operate any heavy machinery. 
I’d also recommend that you purchase it in the tincture (looks like a small bird feeder) form. This is Valerian Root’s most potent source! Are you taking any other measures? Are you getting any treatment for your pain? You didn’t ask me for any treatment advice, so I won’t offer any. Let me know how the Valerian works!
What’s up Doc?
I’m a 16-year-old athlete here in Long Beach. How often do I need to stretch to get more flexible? I hear many different things from my mom, coach, trainer, and even kids on my team. What do you think? Do I need to stretch every single day? Should I stretch every morning and before bedtime? Does drinking water play a role in my overall flexibility (coach told me this)? I am going to use your judgment as the final decisive conclusion to my situation. No pressure, Doc!
Kennedy Stiff
Hey Stiff Guy!
I bet it’s difficult at your age to seek guidance and get multiple different answers/opinions. Sometimes you just need to choose your “go to guy” in a particular area, and just trust him/her. You can have someone for nutrition, someone for spiritual concerns, and someone for fashion advice.  Everyone has an area in which he/she can contribute in a meaningful way. You just have to put people in their proper lane! I hope you understand me.
I think some areas are not so crucial, where you can try out various opinions or test out different theories to see which works best for Kennedy. It would kill you to take everyone’s advice, but if you want to save time, just try mine! Research has shown that you can increase the flexibility of a muscle by simply spending one 15-30 minute session each week stretching. This means there is no need to stretch every single day to increase your flexibility. If you just take out the time to do an intense stretch session each week, you will find that you will make improvements. I’m sure if you stretch daily, thing will progress faster for you.
Hydration does in fact help with muscle tension. Your muscles are about 75% water, so they are like sponges. Visualize the sponge on your kitchen counter.  When it is dry, it is brittle and stiff. When you wet it, it becomes very flexible and pliable. Our muscles react to water in a similar fashion! Here is the link to my video blog on water consumption
Check out the links above on stretching as well. I hope I was helpful!
That was fun as always! I love this stuff! I hope I was helpful in answering your question. I also hope it was helpful to others who may not have the time to ask but had a similar query. Remember, without your question there is no Ask Doc column! Keep them coming! Until next week, stay Strong Beach!
To visit Doc’s website, click here, and buy his book, What I’ve Learned From Your Kids.  Email questions to Doc ataskdoc@docdossman.com.

No comments: