Friday, December 3, 2010


Posted: Monday, November 29, 2010 11:00 pm
Welcome to Ask Doc Dossman, a weekly column where you can ask Long Beach’s pre-eminent sports therapist…whatever you want!  If you already forgot who Doc is, click here to read our introduction.  To visit Doc’s website, click here, and buy his book, What I’ve Learned From Your Kids.  Email questions to Doc ataskdoc@docdossman.com.
Strong Beach! How are you? I hope you enjoyed Thanksgiving. I really enjoyed the rest and good food with family. I was shamefully gluttonous, but not THAT shameful. Due to technical difficulties, I was unable to post my weekly video blog last week.  I hope to get back in the saddle this week with the first installment of our two-part series on “Game Day Nutrition.” Stay tuned! Until then, let’s answer a few questions!
Hi Doc!
I am sorry that I am not from Long Beach; I am a professional sprinter from Canada.  I came across one of your videos on the Internet and figured you could help me out. I’d really appreciate it. I've had some nagging foot pain and arthritis that has bothered me over the years. I saw you had a video on shin splints with some good suggestions for resolving that type of pain. I was wondering if you perhaps had some suggestions for the issue I am having with my foot/ankle. It would be cool if you could let me know when you get the chance. Thanks a lot, man!
- Anson H.
Hey Anson,
We love everyone here in the LBC. We are one of the most culturally diverse cities in America! We even love Canadians! I wish your question was more detailed, but hey, not everybody is from Long Beach! Its okay! Without having much detail about you or your pain, I will give you some general advice.
First, if you do not wear foot orthotics, today would be a great day to start! Maximizing your foot biomechanics is definitely a start to optimal foot/ankle health. My other piece of advice would be for you to get some treatment (deep tissue or active release technique) for the lower leg muscles. These muscles (shin, calf and peronei) are actually the first line of defense when the ankle is placed in distress.
Many people don’t realize that the ligaments are the last line of defense. The muscles must first fail before the ligaments are even called into action. If these muscles are strong and released, the ankle will be strong and functional (even when there are ligamentous issues)! Go back to my video on shin splints and use the exercises there--hope this helps!
Hi Doc!
I plan on coming to pay you a visit soon. I am excited about meeting you. I have visited your webpage, watched your educational videos, and read your column every week. You really seem to know what you are talking about! Until I make my first appointment, I’d like to ask a quick question. My son is always getting muscle cramps but he never listens to me when I tell him to drink the Gatorade I bring home. He says it upsets his stomach and that he hates the taste. I tell him to suck it up and take it for his own good. Still he refuses. I know he needs electrolytes. I have done my net research and I’m confident that he has an electrolyte imbalance. Do you have better ways in which I can encourage my son to drink this Gatorade?
- Cindy M.
Hello Cindy,
It isn’t very often that I agree with my “internet research” patients, but you actually seem to be on the right path. It is true, 9 times out of 10 our muscle cramps come from some electrolyte imbalance. Your son doesn’t like Gatorade. This is fine! I don’t think he has an aversion to “electrolytes,” and there are plenty of other ways to get them!
My first recommendation is to stop trying to force him to drink something he hates. Bring home a variety of drinks with electrolytes (Powerade, Vitamin Water, etc.). Let him try them out to see what tastes good to him. If he doesn’t like what you try to force him to drink, he probably won’t start any new healthy habits with it! Another tip is to serve it chilled and when it is needed! When the body is need of electrolytes, sports drinks tend to taste a little more desirable and less like bad party punch.
I applaud you for getting to the bottom of his issue. I guess I can’t tease my “Internet research” patients anymore about using the Internet as their doctor. After all, look where we are...the Internet!
Mr. Dossman,
I have been having this toe injury every since the beginning of the 2010 track season. It hurts sometimes when I run on it and sometimes when I move it up and down. Where it hurts is at the bone at the top of my big toe, and sometimes I'm able to run on it well, but sometimes it’s just in pain. When I try to walk on it after a painful run, I have a hard time walking.
- Jared M.
Hi Jared,
I am a bit limited by the information given but it sounds like you have “metatarsalgia.”  That simply means your foot or toe hurts. It is something of a garbage can or “umbrella term” we use until we can figure out an exact diagnosis. Faulty foot biomechanics are most commonly the culprit of forefoot pain. Either you are flat-footed or have a high/unsupported arch.
In either case, you need orthotics to help correct the biomechanics and redistribute the stresses over the entire foot. I recommend you see a podiatrist. He might take an x-ray to be sure that you don’t have a stress fracture. Once this is ruled out, he might counsel you to try an NSAID for the pain. I’d recommend a good gel insole to absorb some of the shock of running. Ultrasound, cold laser therapy, and other physiotherapeutic modalities might be helpful as well.
You should also check out the wear and tear on your shoes. Visit your local running store to be sure to purchase the right type of shoe for your foot.  I liken my running shoes to the tires I’d put on my car. I wouldn’t just put anything on my wheels! I’d look for something that can handle the wear and tear that I will be placing on them. I want something that can handle the types of surfaces I tend to ride on.  You want something that can go the distance without wearing down the tire tread! Did I go too far with my sneaker/tire analogy? Oh, well.  Good shoes are important!
-----
Well that was pretty fun! I love this stuff! Of course I always wish I had more information. My perception of things is limited to the information you give me, so be careful when taking my recommendations over your own physician who actually sees you regularly. The more information you give me, the more I can help.   It helps me to give you the best recommendations when you provide information like age, sex, date of injury, past injuries, and things of that nature. Well that is all we have time for today folks! Until next week, stay STRONG BEACH!!!
To visit Doc’s website, click here, and buy his book, What I’ve Learned From Your Kids.  Email questions to Doc ataskdoc@docdossman.com.

No comments: